Thursday, March 31, 2011

Windsor Senior Credential Holders on Wednesday Jan 26th - Survey Results

Ken Powell, an 'almost a senior' pastor in Western Ontario, hosted a meeting of retirees.

Here are the results of three simple questions that were asked...

You too can participate at http://mosesfactor.proboards.com
Look for "The Retired Minister's Survey"
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Here is a copy of my report on our first meeting of the Windsor Senior Credential Holders on Wednesday Jan 26th.

I thought that you would be interested in hearing what some of the people had to say.

There were 16 people in attendance.
We had the retired seniors and the working seniors in attendance.
We had lunch together followed by a discussion time.

I asked three main questions:
(1) What is the best thing that you enjoy about retirement?
(2) What is the hardest challenge you face in retirement?
(3) How has retirement affected your spouse?

Below is a general summary of responses to the questions:

Pastor's Wives Comments
I'm so glad that I was able to make friends outside the church because once my husband retired that was all that I had.

Need to have a hobby

Its nice to have my husband back.

One wife who's husband is still pastoring asked "What will I do with my time when my husband retires when my whole life has revolved around supporting him in ministry in some way or another?"

Pastors Comments:
I miss not having the opportunity to preach anymore.

Wasn't prepared financially for retirement.

I now can spend quality time with my wife.

There is a feeling of exclusion and disconnect with the church and fellow credential holders now that I'm retired.

Retirement was a huge adjustment at first. I just wasn't ready for it.

I enjoy not having to go out every night to a meeting of some kind at the church.

Nice to be able to sleep in.

General Comments
If you want to be involved in ministry you have to go after it particularly if you are in a small town or small church.

Smaller churches should be encouraged to connect with Retired Pastors and use them in ministry as they can be a great support to Pastors and vice -a-versa.

This type of get together needs to be duplicated in every section across our District.

There needs to be a workshop/seminar on "Preparing for Retirement" where younger pastors are encouraged to attend.

Retirement for pastors should be a gradual process where you go from full time to part time if possible.


Ken Powell

No comments:

Post a Comment